Carlos Orozco Romero was born in Guadalajara, Jalisco, in 1896, where he first studied under Luis de la Torre and Félix Bernardelli. In his youth he belonged to the Centro Bohemio and took an active part in forming the muralist movement in the provinces, following the collective model of José David Alfaro Siqueiros and Amado de la Cueva. In 1921 he went to Europe with a scholarship from the state government and took part in the II Autumn Salon in Madrid. In 1928 he became teacher of drawing in the Fine Arts Department of the Ministry of Public Education. In 1930 he showed his work in the Arts Center of New York and then held an individual exhibition in the Galería de Arte Moderno of Mexico City. In addition to being a painter, he was one of the main promoters of wood engraving and the lithographic techniques he learned in Emilio Amero´s workshop. Together with Carlos Mérida he founded the Dance School of the National Institute of Fine Arts in 1932. All through the thirties he showed his work constantly in the United States, and in 1939 took part in the Golden Gate International Exhibition of San Francisco. A year later he was awarded a scholarship by the Guggenheim Foundation. He was a founding member of "La Esmeralda" National School of Painting and Sculpture, and in 1950 homage was paid to him with a retrospective exhibition in the Palace of Fine Arts. He took part in the XXIX Venice Biennial and became director of the Modern Art Museum of Mexico City. He was awarded the National Prize fro Science and Art in 1980 and died four years later in Mexico City.