Francisco Arturo Marín, 1907-1979

Born in Guadalajara, Jalisco, December 5th, 1907. Marín began medical school in his native state of Guanajuato, ending his degree in Mexico City. He studied woodcut with Carlos Orozco Romero at the Preparatory School in Jalisco in 1921, direct carving under León Múñiz in 1931, and modelling and wood carving with Luis Ortiz Monasterio. His work was exhibited frequently in the period 1951 to 1963. The monumental sculpture Campesino sacrificado of 1954 was acquired by the architect Pedro Ramírez Vázquez to the Ministry of Education. In 1962 Marín and the sculptor Federico Canessi completed their massive Tribute to Medical Workers at the 20 de Noviembre Hospital in Mexico City. The Salón de la Plástica Mexicana was the venue for his 1967 solo show. He also collaborated with Diego Rivera on mural paintings for the Ministry of Education building. Although Marín´s work pays homage to the pre-Hispanic sculpturtal tradition, favouring as subjects mother and child compositions and the indigenous themes that dominated the post-revolutionary pictorial aesthetic, it makes room for classical and mythological subjects as well. A champion of Mexican modern sculpture, Marín´s creations echo the tension between reason and instinct, the vital and the eternal, the material mass and the animate. Died in April 7, 1979.